Thursday 30 May 2019

Genesis 32 - Persistence


Recently I was reading Genesis 32, where Jacob wrestles with God. The passage give us little detail, and we are left to wonder who exactly this man was, and why He was wrestling with Jacob! But the passage heading tells us ‘Jacob wrestled with God’, and verse 24 simply says ‘a man wrestled with him until the breaking of the dawn’. The bit of this passage that really struck me the most though was verse 26.

'Then he said, ‘Let me go, for the day has broken’. But Jacob said ‘I will not let you go unless you bless me’.

Jacob was stubborn, refusing to give in or to let go until he had received a blessing. Another word for Jacob’s behaviour is persistent. On first reading, I viewed Jacobs refusal to give in as an unwillingness to submit to God, and thus perceived his behaviour in a negative light, however when I followed the cross references it opened up my eyes to how God saw Jacob’s actions, and how He blessed him for them.

The cross references on this verse link to two gospel passages; a parable and an interaction with Jesus.

Luke 18v1-8 tells the story of the persistent widow, a parable Jesus told the disciples so that they ‘ought always to pray and not lose heart’ v1. A brief summary of the story is that there was a widow who needed justice against an adversary, and so she kept coming to the judge in this city for his help. The passage says that the judge ‘neither feared God nor respected men’. For a while the judge refused her request, but after a while ‘he said to himself ‘Though I neither fear God nor respect man, yet because  this widow keeps bothering me, I will give her justice, so that she will not beat me down by her continual coming’. The unrighteous judge answered her request because of the widow’s persistence.

At the end of the passage, in verse 7 Jesus says ‘And will not God give justice to His elect, who cry to Him day and night? Will He delay long over them? I tell you He will give justice to them speedily. Nevertheless, when the Son of Man comes, will He find faith on the earth?’

The second passage that is cross referenced is Matthew 15v21-28, where a Canaanite woman begs Jesus to heal her daughter. Jesus answers her in verse 24 ‘I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel’. She kneels before Him and again asks for His help. Jesus answers ‘It is not right to take the children’s bread and throw it to the dogs’ (a hard part of scripture for sure, and one I’m not going to go into right now!) Still, the woman refuses to give up. She replies ‘Yes, Lord, yet even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their masters table’.

This precious woman humbly acknowledges her background and low standing in the eyes of the Jews, and refuses to give up, because she has the faith to believe that Jesus can heal her daughter, whom she so clearly loves. And Jesus rewards her for this. He answers her in verse 28 ‘O woman, great is your faith! Be it done for you as you desire’. And her daughter was healed instantly’.

These passages clearly show us that God values persistence. Whilst in our British culture, the actions of these two women could seem like they were nagging, or harassing or refusing to take no for an answer. But to God, these two women received what they desired because they refused to give up.

Jacob refused to stop wrestling until God blessed him, and because of his persistence he received a blessing. It is at this point in Jacob’s story that he is given a new name.

‘Your name shall no longer be called Jacob, but Israel, for you have striven with God, and with men, and have prevailed’ (v28)

The word Israel literally means he strives with God or God strives. The definition of the word strive is to ‘struggle, or fight vigorously’, or ‘to make great efforts to achieve or obtain something’.

Jacob’s life had been defined by his efforts to achieve his father’s blessing, shown by the great effort he went to in order to steal his older brother’s birth right and blessing. In this encounter with God he had fought again, struggling and fighting in order to receive a blessing from the Lord.

As I look back over my life, I can clearly see a lack of persistence. If one of my strengths is that I often to the Lord with the problems I face, one of my weaknesses is surely that I can lack in the persistence to keep asking when I do not get immediate answers. Still, my faith grows, because I look back at the times when I have been persistent, and see God’s faithfulness so clearly.

About a month into feeding Annie, I suddenly started to get a lot of pain. I’m talking toe curling, tears-running-down-my-face pain, every single feed, and with a newborn, that’s every few hours. It was so painful, and I prayed and prayed that God would heal me. It was so frustrating when God did not seem to answer immediately. I grieved my unmet expectations of what having a newborn would be like, as I dreaded every feed and could not enjoy feeding her, the way I had so looked forward to doing. I prayed again and again that God would give me the desire of my heart; to enjoy feeding Annie and to have a good experience.

Then, one day, the pain went away. I received total healing. I still don’t really know what caused the pain. Although at the time it felt like forever, I have now had months of feeding Annie with no pain, and it is a total joy. I am so glad I was determined enough to keep going, and persistent enough to keep asking God to help me. Most of all I am so thankful for His faithfulness and grace to answer me and give me my heart’s desire.

In the following months I would face another struggle as a new mum. Whilst Annie had always been a great little sleeper at night (and trust me, I know how thankful I should be for that!), she seemed to struggle with naps. I would fight to get her to sleep on me, and as soon as I put her down she woke up. I would try and let her fall asleep on her own and she would scream. I was so caught up in what the internet said Annie should be doing, instead of holding her close those first few months as she got used to life outside the womb. I struggled with the exhaustion of no time to regroup and switch off.

Nevertheless, I knew that I could ask God to help me and Annie with this, and that He WOULD answer, even if not exactly as I wanted, or indeed when I wanted. I continued to ask Him for His wisdom and help, and reminded myself of the way He had answered my prayers with feeding Annie. (And often I cried and moaned to my friends. Being real here!)

Today I took Annie up to her room, read her a story, sang her a song and put her into bed awake. A few minutes later she popped her thumb in and went to sleep. She slept for two hours! She’s been doing this for two weeks now and it has changed my life! Not that it goes quite that smoothly every time, and sometimes I still hold her for naps and just enjoy those cuddles. She’s almost five months old now, and obviously it’s taken her this long to be able to settle herself to sleep. I wish I hadn’t spent those first few months worrying about it!

Luke 18 says that God will not delay long over us. How it must hurt His heart to watch us hurting, struggling and feeling broken. But God knows what is best for us.
Sometimes when I put Annie down in her cot, she cries. I know she is full, clean and simply tired. It is hard to hear her cry, but I know she is learning how to go to sleep. That is a skill she needs to learn, even though I wish I could learn it for her!

God’s care for us is perfect, and He knows that through life’s challenges we learn patience, perseverance and more of His faithfulness. He will not delay long over us. He loves us far too much.

May we learn to be more persistent, not just in our prayers for the struggles we face, but also for others, for God’s hurting church around the world, and for those who don’t know Jesus yet.

When Jesus returns, may we be people who are ready to receive Him, with lives that have mined deep in persistence, and hearts full of faith.

‘Nevertheless, when the Son of Man comes, will He find faith on earth?’

P.s through writing this blog I have found that I cannot spell persistence. Thankyou Lord for spell checker. :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment